Friday, June 8, 2012

Rhubarb Muffins

Today was a rainy day and a bit cooler then the past bit so we decided to spend the day inside... and I got some baking done! I had some rhubarb I needed to use up in the fridge so whipped these up... I don't know where I had found this recipe, it is in my binder of recipe's I've accumulated over the years!
Rhubarb Muffins ( or Loaf )
Ingredients: 

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk ( if you don't have this on hand, put 1 Tbsp lemon juice OR vinegar in the bottom of a 1 cup measuring cup... Fill the rest of the one cup with milk... Let sit for 10 minutes before using in recipe )
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups chopped rhubarb

Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp cinnamon

To make:
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda & salt. In a separate bowl, blend sugar with oil, whisk in egg, buttermilk & vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients along with rhubarb just until flour is incorporated. Spoon into greased or paper lined muffin tins, filling 3/4 full. Can also make into 2 loaf pans ( 8x4 inch, 1.5 L)
Topping: combine sugar, butter & cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 20-25 kind for muffins, or 40-45 minutes for loaves, or until cooked all the way through. Let cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to let cool completely.

I prefer to make muffins over loaves/cake so I can keep them in a freezer bag in the freezer and only take out what I'm going to eat. These rhubarb muffins are like little coffee cakes with the brown sugar topping. Very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment