Friday, March 23, 2012

Shepard's Pie


This is a super easy and tasty casserole I make from time to time. It's nice because it has everything in one dish.... And you can make a couple up at a time and put one in the freezer for another date. I have no idea where I got this recipe from.., I just know I've had it forever in my recipe folder!





Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef
2 Tbsp cooking

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
( I only add these if I have them on hand... There have been times I will just use one or even none..)

2 Tbsp white flour
Salt & pepper to taste

1 cup boiling water
Beef bouillon cube

Frozen mixed vegetables (optional)

About 3 cups mashed potatoes... You can use leftovers if you have them on hand.

Hear oil in large frying pan. Add onion & celery and sauté till soft. Add ground beef and fry till pink is gone. If there is a lot of extra grease/fat, drain off. Sprinkle flour over meat. Add salt & pepper. Pour boiling water over beef bouillon and, when dissolved, pour into meat mixture. Mix and let simmer till starts to thicken. At this point I like to add about a cereal bowl size of frozen mixed vegetables. I like to add the veggies to make it more of a "complete" meal. Once the liquid starts to thicken, pour everything into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Put mashed potatoes on top. Place in a pre-heated 350 degree F oven for about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and enjoy! If you were going to freeze this, skip the heating for 30 minutes stage... Just throw into freezer after you put the potatoes on top. Then thaw and heat till hot all the way through on the night your going to eat it!


1 comment:

  1. This is one of Jeff's favourite meals! Will have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete