Here is the recipe from "Very Culinary" who adapted it from "Six Sister Stuff"
• 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
• salt and pepper
• 1 cup honey
• 1/2 cup soy sauce (since i find that sauces are too salty for us if i use full amount of soy sauce, i did 1/4 cup soy sauce & 1/4 cup water, you might want to try low sodium soy sauce instead as well)
• 1/2 cup diced onion
• 1/4 cup ketchup
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 4 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 6 Tablespoons water
• 1/2 tablespoon (or more) sesame seeds
• 3 scallions, chopped ( optional )
Lightly season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper, put into crock pot.
In a medium bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 4 hours. If your like me and have a slow cooker that has no option for just low or high, instead low for 8 or 10 hrs and high for 4 or 6 hours, just put it on the low for 8 hours option and put another timer on for 4 hours... This is what I did and it worked!!
Remove chicken from crock pot, leave sauce. Dissolve 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in 6 tablespoons of water and pour into crock pot. Stir to combine with sauce. Replace lid and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes or until slightly thickened. This recipe made lots of sauce!! So if you like saucy chicken, this is the recipe for you!!!!
Cut or shred chicken into bite size pieces. Then in individual bowls, place chicken pieces over cooked rice and spoon some sauce on top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped scallions.
I loved this recipe and will be making it again for sure. As you will see from the picture, I served mine with quinoa instead of rice.... Delish!!! The chicken was saucy and just the right amount of heat from the red pepper flakes.