Saturday, February 25, 2012

Best Ever Meatloaf


Meatloaf night in the Pattison house tonight! For some reason I don't remember loving meatloaf when I was a kid as love as I love it now!!! A great way to use up ground beef... And this recipe has carrots & cheese in it too! This recipe came from my Grandma Lewis... And will be handed down the generations I'm sure of it as a family favorite!

Here is the recipe:

2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
2 tsp salt ( I never use this much... Maybe 1/2 tsp)
1/4 tsp pepper
3 slices bread, crumbled
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 onion, chopped ( I like to grate it so you don't get any chunks)
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Break eggs in large mixing bowl and beat. Add milk, salt & pepper, and bread. Mix well. Add onion, carrots, cheese and beef. Mix well. Pack into loaf pan or shape into a loaf on a baking pan ( I use my pampered chef bar pan) I usually do the baking pan method as you get more crunchy outside on the meatloaf which is my favorite part!

Topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp mustard.

This is the topping with the recipe BUT I find it way to sweet so I just put straight ketchup on the top of the uncooked meatloaf.

Fresh Air Flavors
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or cooked all the way through. I find it does take longer to cook... More like 1 hour and 20 mins or even 1 1/2 hours. I also double this recipe up and do 2 and put one in the freezer ( better if you do the loaf pan for the freezer) I love to have meat loaf with garlic mashed potatoes on the side and some fresh veggies... I make my garlic mashed potatoes by leaving the skins on (only the red or yellow skinned potatoes).. Boil till ready to mash.. Then drain water, add some margarine and a splash of milk and about a 1/2 Tbsp or so of "Fresh Flavors" garlic pesto Fresh Air Flavors
This Garlic Pesto is the best ingredient invented! We use it all the time.. more in the summer as that is when we have our fresh beans and zucchini. We saute the beans or sliced zucchini with a little butter and garlic pesto.. best way to eat them! There are many other ways we use it.. I'm sure I'll be posting more recipes that I use it in :)
Mash them all together and serve with meatloaf!



No comments:

Post a Comment